Well-chosen floor lighting can transform a room from an ordinary living space to a truly impactful environment. Interior designers know that the best contemporary floor lamps combine high functionality with style to become an essential part of a room's look and feel, especially in minimalist designs where the individual elements receive a lot of attention. Their expertise guides them in selecting designer floor lights to complete a look, and many choose one of FLOS's time-tested and innovative styles.
Modern floor lamps are available in a number of styles and options, serving different purposes like providing:
- Ambient lighting for generic lighting
- Task lighting to read or use the laptop
- Accent lighting to highlight an art piece or specific part of a room
Contemporary floor lamps are not only stylish and chic, but also effective in terms of performance and energy efficiency. Most LED floor lamps today work efficiently without consuming too much power.
Types of floor lamps
Here are a few common types of modern floor lamps:
- Traditional floor lamp – a single pole with a lampshade on top
- Task floor lamp – flexible light that can moved or adjusted for reading, etc.
- Swing-arm floor lamp – flexible arm that can be adjusted according to your needs
- Arcing floor lamp – a long arm, attached to the base
- Mid-century modern floor lamp – clean lines, uncluttered design
- Minimalistic floor lamp – contemporary design with neutral colors and no unnecessary extravagances
- Torchiere floor lamp – uplight-producing floor lamp, apt for ambient/accent lighting
Check out a few designer favorites from FLOS's outstanding floor lamp collection, and be inspired by fresh contemporary lighting ideas.
1. Arco by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni
(image source: PEEK Architecture + Design Ltd via Houzz)
PEEK Architecture + Design elevates a townhouse basement with a luxurious modern aesthetic and the sleek curves of the iconic Arco floor lamp. One of the most famous FLOS designs, Arco's personality is surprisingly versatile, as seen in the ultra-modern living room below, making it a favorite among contemporary living room lamps.
(photo by Marco Joe Fazio, LBIPP, www.marcojoefazio.com all rights reserved)
2. Toio by Achille and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni
(image source: Ruhl Walker Architects via Houzz)
The delicate shape and exposed lines of mid-century stunner Toio perfectly balance the ornate decorative table above, while enhancing the contemporary character of the in-home theater below. Is it any wonder Toio is iconic among decorative floor lamps?
Environmentally friendly and classically proportioned, the Kelvin LED Floor Lamp is ideal as a reading lamp, whether by the sofa or at the bedside like in the hotel pictured below.
4. Glo Ball F by Jasper Morrison
(image source: Casey Fierro Architects via Houzz)
Jasper Morrison's Glo Ball F - modern floor lamp is a subtle yet effective character in streamlined rooms like Jasper Morrison's own modern studio above.
(image source: Geraldine Morley Interior Design via Houzz)
A Scandinavian-inspired dining room is framed by Superarchimoon for a dramatic yet understated effect, creating a tension in the room that feels unusually exciting for such a minimalist concept. In a busier setting, like the office below, Philippe Starck's modern lighting design makes a big statement of style.
Take a cue from the designers in the know and explore more FLOS iconic floor lamp designs that will complete your home.